Author Topic: First time posting  (Read 2792 times)

Liam Kavanagh-Bradette

« on: February 08, 2012, 12:04 PM »
I'll be finished school in a little over two months and I'd like to hear your thoughts, suggestions, criticisms and job offers.

Cheers,

www.liamkb.com

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
      • www.warrentoda.com
      • Email
Re: First time posting
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 09:38 PM »
Technical:

Font size is too small. Currently, it's set to 79%. Perhaps try the universal standard of 100% ?

Once on the wedding section, if the reader clicks to the Contact or CV pages, there's no easy way back to the wedding page (there's no direct "Wedding" link on these pages). You may also want to have different Contact and CV pages written just for wedding viewers.

Do yourself a favour and stick to lowercase file naming.

Pictures:

Is it safe to assume you're using a Mac with a glossy screen? Several pictures are a bit soft with poor contrast and brightness.

News pictures:

Several pictures are too loose, vague or confusing.

• In the Caribana picture, all but one of the people have their heads down and eyes closed. So, how important are they to the picture? Faces attract attention, backs of heads don't.

If you had to show just one picture to convey the excitement and atmosphere of the event, would this picture be it?

• The Belleville fire dept. photo is just a handful of men scattered across a driveway which doesn't make for a picture. Nothing in the picture illustrates what the story is about.

Decide what the story is and what you need to illustrate that story. In this case, you need a moustache (i.e. a face) and something that says "firefighter" (maybe a helmet). A driveway, a building, a truck, a yellow house and a tree don't add anything to the story.

• The Girls of Movember photo is a group shot of women, each with a finger in their nose, and wearing strange shoes and a mix of sweaters or jackets.

Like the firefighter picture above, 98% of this picture is wasted. How important are the shoes to this story? The pants? The sweaters? The white background?

Group shots almost never work because they rarely have impact. Too much distracting stuff. For this particular picture, you need one or two faces, fake moustache(s), great facial expression and nice lighting. The story isn't about their clothes, it's about their faces.

(Edit: removed some sample pictures)

« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 11:54 PM by Warren Toda »

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Offline Stacey Newman

• Professional
  • Milton, ON
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
      • Stacey Newman Photographer & Writer
      • Email
Re: First time posting
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 06:01 PM »
I like your bull-riding capture. good that you've put together a website that is easily navigated. I'd add more photos and categories and as said above, I'd put up some of your best shots, storytelling images...not just visually attractive images. good luck

Stacey Newman
Commercial & Editorial Photographer
www.staceynewmanphotography.com
Cell: (289) 971-1033
Twitter: @staceylnewman
Facebook: www.facebook.com/StaceyNewmanPhotography