Author Topic: My New Website - Now With 20% More Riboflavin!  (Read 3523 times)

Colin Corneau

My New Website - Now With 20% More Riboflavin!
« on: December 23, 2011, 12:33 PM »
After concluding that this here 'internet' thing just may take off, I've emptied out all my old shoeboxes and put some images together for this site.

www.colincorneau.com

Critiques, objective viewpoints, cash offers all welcome.

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
      • www.warrentoda.com
      • Email
Re: My New Website - Now With 20% More Riboflavin!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 03:50 AM »
Good use of Wordpress (and HTML5). Hopefully, other photographers will see that there's no Flash used on this site.  Photographers might also want to note how easily a bit of e-commerce is implemented on this site.

Front page:
• I can triple the page load speed just by better compressing the photo of the boy+bike. There's no reason why this picture needs to be 3.4MB. The use of Backstretch is nice but you can still compress the picture down to 1MB (and probably even less) and I bet you won't see any difference. For comparison, the wedding pictures are about 500 to 700 KB.

• There's no text on the front page except your name and the links. Meaning, there's nothing for a search engine to index. Search your name and see what pops up. Google is a tiny bit better than Yahoo/Bing.

• Front page indicates that you have an RSS feed but it leads to a dead end (page not found). You probably don't need a feed for a site like this.

Contact page:
• Text in the input boxes is medium grey (#666) on a dark grey background which is a tad bit difficult to read.

• Input text is small (12px) especially for reverse text like this. Set it to at least 13px to match the rest of the page or even a bit larger.

• The input text is Arial. Maybe try Verdana which is a tiny bit wider?

About page:
• Is it just me or does that picture look familiar?

Prints page:
• "addresses"

• Haven't set up sales taxes on Paypal ?

My Blogs:
Three blogs?! Geez, talk about corporate greed. :D   What is "Light Table"?

Oh yeah, the pictures are quite nice, especially those from China.

Minor things:

Newspaper gallery:
• I'd get rid of armyCadets1.jpg and remembrance.jpg.

Film Work gallery:
• WinnipegPast, clearlakedogswim, DalaiTEmple and smokeTree don't fit (?).

Exhibition gallery:
• What do the Chinese characters say and how did you type them?
• Take a look at 521.jpg. Solar eclipse, smog or very underexposed?

China- B+W:
• three-legged dog in Lijiang?   :)  (Reminds me of the three-legged pig joke).
• gallery (sort of) ends with the same baby picture as the China-colour.

Off-topic:
Why do some signs in China (other than Hong Kong) use English? This also happens in other non-English countries like Japan and India.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 04:02 AM by Warren Toda »

Colin Corneau

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 07:30 PM »
WOW...thanks! This is a big fat box full of goodies to tweak my site with, and I thank you.

I actually am working with a friend to reduce the size of the photos, which should help with the slow loading.

Re: blogs. I started the other two (besides Light Table) previous to this site and want to keep them going, as a separate outlet. "Light Table" is just a way to, as you note, brand myself. Just saying what's going on, new images, links that I think people may find useful, etc.

Chinese writing - I collaborated with an artist friend who did the captions for me for each image, based on traditional Chinese idioms, etc. I basically cut and pasted the text document he sent me for it...most keyboards and OS' let you type in Chinese but I have no clue how to do that.

Many signs, even in relatively far out places, sometimes have English on them but this is a relatively modern development (like, the past 20 years). Any typing on computers, email, the Net is done with pinyin -- basically spelling Chinese words in English. So I guess people there are more used to dealing somewhat in English than previous generations...also, it's useful for tourism. All the better to overcharge Westerners with...

Thanks again, sincerely.

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
      • www.warrentoda.com
      • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 05:58 PM »
The picture of you with the D/L - did I shoot that? It sort of looks familiar. ???

I do have a picture of you kissing a beer can, but a photo of you with the D/L does make you appear a bit more respectable.  :D

Colin Corneau

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 04:07 PM »
That shot is by none other than Trawna Star shooter Steve Russell, and that reminds me I should really credit him on that shot...it was a lucky 'hail mary' although when you're that good you make your own luck, I guess.

Yeah, figured a Nobel Peace Prize recipient might rub off on me better than backstage at the Junos with a beer can. :)

Colin Corneau

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 09:17 PM »
An update, of sorts --

I've added a new section to the "Portfolios", a selection of my street photography work...

http://tinyurl.com/6w496al

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
      • www.warrentoda.com
      • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 07:52 PM »
Didn't know the ZZ Top guy lived in Brandon.  :D