Author Topic: cleared the dust off some old disks...  (Read 2406 times)

Mihai Spiridonica

« on: January 11, 2011, 02:04 PM »
...so I put this together, over a couple of weekends. Glimpses of a world that is no more, the 90's Eastern Europe. Street photography.
People are faceless,  mostly - so many identities there failed to define themselves. I felt like stealing them photos.
Speaking of which... some are filtered, some not, but I tried as much as possible to stay away from cropping and rotating. And they don't have captions either - I didn't want to caption anonymity.
So prepare the tomatoes.

http://www.andix.org

Enjoy.

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
      • www.warrentoda.com
      • Email
Re: cleared the dust off some old disks...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 11:42 PM »
Technical stuff first:
• for me, the Flash is very slow.

• the thumbnails across the top of gallery pages are too small and too dark to serve any purpose.

• the About pages: personally I don't like the way it "auto-scrolls". I'd rather be able to scroll line-by-line at my own pace. I'd also prefer a narrower column width.

• the constant background photo bugs me, but that's probably just me.

Photo stuff:
Most of this comes down to a matter of taste:

• Some pictures are very good and some are not. You said the pictures are intentionally uncropped (nothing wrong with that), but I think many would benefit from cropping.

• Some juxtapositions are good and others leave me scratching my head. What if you juxtapose some of the inanimate object pictures (dummies, lights, things) with some of the people pictures?

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Mihai Spiridonica

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 04:27 PM »
Thank you Warren. A lot of limitations from the website came with the theme (thumbnails size for instance). There's another way of seeing the thumbnails using the 1, 2, 3 little icons at the bottom of the galleries' front pages.
What do you mean auto-scroll? I don't see anything scrolling automatically in the 'About.' Can you please tell me what browser and OS are you using? It was only supposed to scroll by dragging the scroll bar or using the mouse wheel.

Thanks!

Offline Fred Lum

• Professional
  • wherever Starbucks app tells me to go
      • mostlymonochrome
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 07:15 PM »
I like to be able to change font size and I can't with yours so the experience was abbreviated as the type was too small for my eyes. Also not sure about text or photos over a bg image. Couldn't find the 1,2,3 icons at the bottom of the galleries. I saw no auto scroll Warren on the about page.

Again, increase or allow the viewer to dictate the font size or else the eyeballs won't be lingering very long.

Fred

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
      • www.warrentoda.com
      • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 11:49 PM »
Quote from: Mihai Spiridonica
What do you mean auto-scroll? I don't see anything scrolling automatically in the 'About.' Can you please tell me what browser and OS are you using? It was only supposed to scroll by dragging the scroll bar or using the mouse wheel.

What I meant was that when using a mouse wheel, rather than scrolling one line at a time, it scrolls page view by page view. If there are, say, 25 lines of text visible and I scroll by one mouse wheel click, it "auto scrolls" down to the next 25 lines of text instead of just scrolling down one line. (Mac, Safari).

For me, when I read anything online, I tend to scroll as I read. This way, my eyes stay (more or less) in one area of the page (i.e. in one area of the monitor), rather than read top to bottom, scroll, read top to bottom, scroll .... but I'm sure it's just me  :-[

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Offline Rod MacIvor

• Inactive Member
      • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 12:57 PM »
Andi: I agree the thumbnails are too small to see, and click on to see each image in their large size (the ones at the top of the page). On my mac it would be good to be able to use the arrow keys to go thru each 'collection'...(call one up big, and then use arrows).

Thats the technical part.....

I agree with Warren, the background just adds confusion, and the pairing up of photos (for no apparent reason (usually) just makes the individual photos even smaller .

I think you have some good images....but as in any portfolio, quantity does not trump quality.... edit your photos  down to 20-30...and make them big.

I am a sucker for dummy pix!...I love the lack of humanity but the feeling of emotion that pervades (if that makes any sense)...

Sorry I took so long to get back to you on the photos!