Author Topic: Updated Portfolio  (Read 2963 times)

Adam Jackson

« on: December 29, 2010, 07:06 PM »
Hey everyone, second year photojournalism student here...

I recently updated my portfolio to apply for summer internships...

Just looking for any thoughts, concerns, "get that the ##%@ out of there"'s?

www.adamjacksonphotojournalist.blogspot.com (Link is at the top)

It's on a carbonmade slideshow at the moment, while I work out the kinks in my website.

Thanks for your help,

Adam Jackson

Offline Kenneth Armstrong

• Professional
  • Sault Ste Marie, ON
      • www.kennetharmstrong.ca
      • Email
Re: Updated Portfolio
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 03:02 PM »
The only thing that really bothers me is some of the wording. Seems self-deprecating at times and if I was hiring someone based on this I would question some of the things you wrote.

I don't like writing all that much so I took a break and shot around the office and some of the people on Chipman who walk by.

OK, I'll hire someone who DOES like to write...

Obviously not the best, but hey. It's still kinda cool.

It's OK to be your own worst critic but its probably not a good idea to do it publicly to someone you're looking to hire you.

--------------------

ken@kennetharmstrong.ca
www.kennetharmstrong.ca
Photographer
Sault Ste Marie

Adam Jackson

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 08:11 PM »
Duly noted.

That's a very valid point, I'll change it up

Thanks

Adam Jackson

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 08:31 PM »
Just something I'm looking for comments on....

The captions on the portfolio - Too general?

I had original captions, but they were captions like "An elderly couple take a walk through Zwick's park yesterday, which was an unseasonably warm day."

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
      • www.warrentoda.com
      • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 12:23 AM »
Re: captions: It depends on the purpose of the site. If it's for other photographers or folks who live in your area, the captions with local names might be okay. Although, there are some spelling and grammar mistakes.

If the site is for "strangers", then the captions might need to be both more specific and more general at the same time. Local names and dates may not be important, except for specific news pictures).

Examples:

"Gerry Bongard, owner of Stephen License Bicycle Ltd. in Belleville, Ontario." (so what?)
vs.
Bicycle shop owner Gerry Bongard has been selling and repairing bikes for over 25 years at his store in Belleville, Ontario. 

"An elderly couple take a walk through Zwick's park in Belleville, Ontario on Sep. 26, 2010."
vs.
A couple enjoy an afternoon walk through a park in Belleville, Ontario. (optional:) Walking is the most popular form of exercise for people over 60 years of age. (for general portfolio use, don't really need park name or date).

"15-year-old Skylar Bone reaches for a pass from his friend while playing a game of roller-hockey in late October, 2010." (don't start a sentence with a number.)
vs.
A teenager plays roller-hockey on the road in front of his home in Belleville, Ontario. (optional:) City council is considering an amendment to its bylaws to legalize street sports.   (for general portfolio use, don't really need the name, age or date.)

"An OPP officer investigates a motorcycle accident on the 401 eastbound, near Coburg. A male and female passenger were both rushed to hospital with life-threatening to injuries."
vs.
A police officer investigates a highway motorcycle crash which sent two people to hospital.   (for general portfolio use, don't need specifics or acronyms.)

"Part of a sense of belonging project done on steel workers or other people who work hard with their hands." (makes no sense)
vs.
"Sense of Belonging" is a collection of portraits of people whose livelihood depends on manual labour.

"Windsor Lancers' quarterback Austin Kennedy avoids an attempted sack from Queens GoldenGaels' linebacker Sam Sabourin during the Gaels' home opener in September."   
(Although the use of apostrophes is correct, many papers don't bother with them because it can look "messy". Use of sports slang like "sack" may or may not be a good thing.)
vs.
Windsor Lancers quarterback Austin Kennedy avoids a tackle from Queens Golden Gaels linebacker Sam Sabourin during a university football game. 

"Jason Smith, a taxidermist based in Campbellford, skins a coyote he hunted himself in his basement shop." (So the guy caught the coyote in his basement? I once shot an elephant in my pyjamas ... )
vs.
Campbellford taxidermist Jason Smith skins a coyote in his basement shop.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 12:28 AM by Warren Toda »

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Adam Jackson

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 05:24 PM »
Thanks a lot Warren! Greatly appreciated!  ;D

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
      • www.warrentoda.com
      • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 05:20 PM »
Just to be clear, when you're submitting pictures to a newspaper, the caption must have names, locations and date. A proper caption has to answer who, what, where, when and maybe why/how. For better or worse, most papers won't accept a caption that's many paragraphs long, so you have to be concise.

Photos on your web site are viewed "out of context" from the newspaper world and are viewed weeks, months or even years after the event occurred. Your web site is more about your photography skills than about specific news coverage. In this case, some names and dates may not be important, although others may disagree.

There are exceptions of course. If you have photos from the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, for example, you'd mention the location, year and athletes' names; if you have a picture of the oldest woman in the world, you'd use her name and age; a series of pictures profiling Main Street in Belleville would require the street and city names.

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Adam Jackson

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 07:06 PM »
That's exactly why I was wondering which way to go - Specific to show that I actually can collect information and regurgitate it into a caption or general because those details really don't matter anymore.

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
      • www.warrentoda.com
      • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 12:17 AM »
Quote from: Adam Jackson
That's exactly why I was wondering which way to go - Specific to show that I actually can collect information and regurgitate it into a caption or general because those details really don't matter anymore.

That's up to you. There's no right/wrong. It depends on the purpose of your web site. You can always have one gallery for news pictures with captions to show your PJ skills, and another gallery with other pictures without captions to show your photo talents.

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com