Author Topic: For your perusal  (Read 9019 times)

Offline Kenneth Armstrong

• Professional
  • Sault Ste Marie, ON
      • www.kennetharmstrong.ca
      • Email
For your perusal
« on: December 14, 2010, 07:05 PM »
My name is Kenneth Armstrong, I am a new member but I have been lurking for quite some time. I was active on the old ECNPA boards a few years back as well. I've been freelancing in Sault Ste Marie for a few years and decided to sign up to take my work to the next level in 2011.

www.kennetharmstrong.ca

I have a very basic site up now. I've gotten a lot of feedback already but I'd be happy to get some more before I redesign. I think the biggest comment is to have a separate blog and not comment in the galleries but feel free to let loose... :D

Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 11:00 AM by Kenneth Armstrong »

--------------------

ken@kennetharmstrong.ca
www.kennetharmstrong.ca
Photographer
Sault Ste Marie

• Professional
  • Sault Ste Marie, ON
      • Email
Re: For your perusal
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 12:34 PM »
Google Analytics is a hulluvadrug, 15 people clicked the link from NPAC... an average of 6.4 pages viewed. People are looking at the site and must have some opinion.

I have a thick skin. Feel free to comment. If you don't want to comment publicly I welcome any email feedback you may have ken[at]kennetharmstrong[dot]ca

Thanks again for looking.

--------------------

ken@kennetharmstrong.ca
www.kennetharmstrong.ca
Photographer
Sault Ste Marie

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
      • www.warrentoda.com
      • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 11:28 PM »
Quote from: Kenneth Armstrong
I have a very basic site up now.

The front page, with its multiple small pictures, has no impact.

Only 19 pictures spread across 6 categories? For this amount of photos, you can put them all together as one presentation and not bother with categories. Based on the 19 pictures posted, I think they can be edited down to half that. Several of the B+W Toronto pictures are nice.

What's the purpose of the web site: for friends and photographers to look at, or to drum up business?

If the latter, you probably need to put your contact info on every page and also add a lot of text describing what exactly it is you do.

Not much more to say since there's not enough content.

• Professional
  • Sault Ste Marie, ON
      • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 05:31 AM »
Thank you Warren for the thoughtful critique. I agree with many of your points, especially the "who's it for?" question. I have a lot to learn, which is one of the reasons I joined NPAC.

I will take a long hard look at my edits and see if I can find some stronger images and I will re-think the opening page. I think mt biggest problem was that I couldn't decide whether to do a portfolio site or a blog so I tried to combine them. There's obviously a reason why they are almost always separate.

--------------------

ken@kennetharmstrong.ca
www.kennetharmstrong.ca
Photographer
Sault Ste Marie

Offline Blair Gable

• Professional
  • Ottawa, ON
      • Blair Gable Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 08:50 AM »
Home page issues. I load your site and immediately don't want to go any further. There is no interesting design element at all.

Freelance picture-maker.

http://www.blairgable.com

• Professional
  • Sault Ste Marie, ON
      • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 09:28 AM »
Thank you, Blair. That will be my first priority, to make a front page that has some impact. I'll edit out some of the weaker images, find some stronger ones to add and put them in one or two larger galleries instead of so many smaller galleries.

I appreciate you taking the time to look and comment.

--------------------

ken@kennetharmstrong.ca
www.kennetharmstrong.ca
Photographer
Sault Ste Marie

• Professional
  • Sault Ste Marie, ON
      • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 11:53 AM »
I recently updated the look, made images larger and removed the text. Added email address to the top of every page.

I still need to add more images and maybe remove some that are up now but I wanted to get the functionality working. I'm probably going to remove the editorial stock category because really... who cares?

The feedback last time was very helpful. I appreciate any more you may have.

Thanks again,

www.kennetharmstrong.ca

--------------------

ken@kennetharmstrong.ca
www.kennetharmstrong.ca
Photographer
Sault Ste Marie

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
      • www.warrentoda.com
      • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 07:50 PM »
I like lemonade.

It's a beverage that's inexpensive to buy, easy to make and it can be consumed throughout the year. Lemonade never goes out of season and never goes out of style.

I once knew a girl named Stacey, (who, by coincidence, was featured in a Toronto newspaper column today). She liked lemonade. However, web site design was not one of her many talents.

Web sites should be like lemonade. Easy to code, easy to maintain and won't go out of style as trends change.

Kenneth, for some strange reason that only your Stacey knows, the coding of your site is a bit odd. It's far too complicated and messy for such a straightforward site.

The problem with templates and other auto-generating web page software is that they often try to be everything to everyone or they try to force everyone into their one view of the web.

The javascript Stacey uses is somewhat meaningless, the directory system is unusual, the css is dated and messy, and a few other weird things. It's like using a proprietary system rather than an international standard.

Your site is quite simple (as it should be), so you should learn some html and css. It will go a long way towards customizing any web pages you do whether they be template or self-made pages.

Methinks your choice of font makes the pages look sparse. There are many unique web fonts you can use (Google offers such a service) which can add a bit of interest, (yes, I realize you don't want the text to draw away from the pictures).

There's a difference between looking minimal and looking empty, spartan or cheap.

You need more text on your site, probably in a blog. Text attracts search engines. Regularly adding new text (i.e. though a blog) really attracts search engines.

There's not enough "feedback" or enough visual clues when hovering over a link.

The url of each page has zero search engine value.

Your image filenames are all over the place:  "OHL player profile photo of Soo Greyhounds player Michael Kantor Sault Ste Marie Canada STRKAG.jpg"  is not a filename, it's a short story. I hope this isn't how you name images for your archive.

Probably should add a description meta tag to the pages and also maybe a keywords meta tag.

The problem with slideshows is that big vertical pictures don't work too well. Since computer monitors are horizontal, horizontal photos work great in a slideshow but verticals need to be scaled down a lot.

Once you know CSS, you can change the fonts, colours, spacings, borders, etc. on these pages in a few seconds.

(Edit: removed a link to some sample web pages that no longer exist.)

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 02:59 AM by Warren Toda »

• Professional
  • Sault Ste Marie, ON
      • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 08:24 PM »
Thank you for the very thoughtful answer. I don't disagree, Stacey is a little weird. I deleted the RSS links altogether because they created jibber-jabber. I thought I had worked out the bugs but obviously there are some glaring ommissions on my part.

The filenames are all over the place. I mostly grabbed stuff that was handy all over my hard drive. I should make an effort to fix that.

I am capable of creating simple HTML websites with CSS. I don't have a good reason why I didn't do that.

I agree about needing the blog. I had captions and some write-ups on the last version of the site and it did create traffic according to Google Analytics.

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to look.

--------------------

ken@kennetharmstrong.ca
www.kennetharmstrong.ca
Photographer
Sault Ste Marie