Author Topic: website + portfolio feedback  (Read 2283 times)

Lindsay Mackenzie

« on: September 11, 2010, 02:52 PM »
Hello All,

I've just finished up three years working as a Tour Leader for a small Vancouver-based travel company, which means that all of my recent photography is travel related (tough life, I know). I've finished with tour leading and am now attempting to make a living through photography & journalism. I've just put a new website together and what I'd really appreciate from this forum is any feedback anyone may have about the photography section of my website in regards to site navigation and/or portfolio set up and content.

Please see http://www.lindsaymackenzie.com and click on "Photo" to be taken to my photo portfolio.

Thanks in advance for your time.

-Lindsay

Offline Blair Gable

• Professional
  • Ottawa, ON
      • Blair Gable Photography
Re: website + portfolio feedback
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 02:41 PM »
Hi Lindsay, I took a quick peek at your website and wanted to give you some feedback on things that initially stood out. The site as a whole looks like something a student put together - not the look you want when presenting yourself as a professional. The smugmug gallery was one thing, but also the "clips" section looks like a 15 year olds resume. All the info is good, but needs to be presented in a different format.

In your portfolio gallery, some of the photos are nice and some are whack. I think you would be better off trimming the fat and making the gallery half the size. Also, in some of the frames I have no idea what is going on, so caption info would also be a plus.

$0.02

Freelance picture-maker.

http://www.blairgable.com

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
      • www.warrentoda.com
      • Email
Re: website + portfolio feedback
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 11:59 PM »
In no particular order (and feel free to ignore any or all of this):

Bio+Contact page:

Bio pages are not really bio pages. They are marketing pages where you promote yourself. Try not to talk about yourself in the usual "I did this, I did that" format. Instead, where possible, talk about yourself where you are the solution.

Instead of:

In the summer of 2010 Lindsay worked as a photography Trip Leader for National Geographic Student Expeditions in Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands. Lindsay’s photographs of the May 2010 protests in Athens, Greece were highlighted on CNN’s television broadcast and on their website. Lindsay has hosted travel photography exhibitions in Hamilton, New York and in Vancouver, British Columbia. Her work is also featured in a permanent exhibition at the Liu Centre for Global Issues at the University of British Columbia. Her photography has been published in the Vancouver Sun, Canadian House and Home, Pique Newsmagazine, The Sounder and the National Geographic Student Expeditions 2010 Catalogue. She will have a piece featured in the Maynards Contemporary Art Auction in September 2010 in Vancouver, Canada.

Try something like:

In 2010, National Geographic Student Expeditions chose Lindsay to be the Trip Leader for the summer expedition to Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands. Her travel photography has been exhibited in Hamilton, New York and Vancouver.

The University of British Columbia's Liu Centre for Global Issues includes her work in a permanent exhibit.

CNN featured Lindsay's photos of protests in Athens, Greece, both on its TV broadcast and on its web site.

The Vancouver Sun, Canadian House and Home, Pique Newsmagazine, The Sounder, National Geographic Students Expeditions 2010 catalogue and Maynards Contemporary Art Auction have all published her photography.

Can you run e-mail through your domain rather than using g-mail? Or, if you really like g-mail, can you have your domain name e-mail forward through g-mail?

Blog pages:

Much better to use several short paragraphs rather than one looooong one.

Web site stuff:

Your urls look like: http:// lindsaymackenzie.com/?page_id=7

which have no value to you. Change the urls in Wordpress>Settings>Permalinks to get rid of the: ?page_id=number

Much better to use real, readable words such as:  http:// lindsaymackenzie.com/contact_information

Pictures:

The front page photo of girls in pink dresses doesn't work as there are too many heads cut off and no point of interest. In photos of people, readers look at faces first. But since you've cut off all the heads in this particular picture, (nothing wrong with cutting off a head here and there  :) ), you need to compensate by having a strong point of interest

I think there are many good pictures but there are also some not-so-good ones that could be edited out. I don't think there's a need for both a general travel portfolio and individual destination portfolios since the General sometimes duplicates what's in the individual ones.

Travel-Elsewhere duplicates some pix from other galleries. No real need for that.

Change the title "Travel - Elsewhere". Maybe try something silly like Travel - Uncharted", Travel - Without Borders", "Travel - Off the beaten path" etc.

Maybe it's just my imagination, but it looks like you have one zoom lens and it's set to f8. Meaning, every picture has a bit of sameness to them. There are no really wide or really long pictures. There are no pictures with shallow depth of field.

Travel pictures are not just big "stand-back-and-shoot" landscapes, skylines, sunsets, etc. Some travel pictures can be "little" photos: close-ups of old bricks or texture in clothing, still life of food or artwork, etc.

Look at Bob Krist's travel photography. http://www.bobkrist.com/

Many of your pictures have good composition and they show you're thinking (rather than just pointing and clicking).

One of the problems with travel photography is that you can't always wait for better light or better weather. Some of your pictures would have looked better (I think) had you shot them many hours earlier or later (ie earlier morning or later in the day).

Not sure what else to add. Generally most pictures look good.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 12:19 AM by Warren Toda »

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Frederic Sune

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 05:57 PM »
Warren and Blair,

Just 2 words: Thank you for the good review and take the time to reply to Lindsay. I am impress!