Author Topic: New website!  (Read 1875 times)

Joanie Lebrun

« on: March 30, 2010, 12:42 PM »
Hello,

I've updated my website layout. I was wondering what you thought about it.
I'm still trying to figure out if I like the format of the Blog and was hoping to get some
comments on that too.

www.clicfoto.ca

Have a good day!

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
      • www.warrentoda.com
      • Email
Re: New website!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 01:41 AM »
No one wants to post first.

No Flash!  :) 

Perfect horizooooontal photo for the home page.

• Why do you need a "Portfolio" category?

• Life is easier if you don't use spaces, caps or odd characters in file names. Maybe name pictures in each category with some sort of similar name to help file organization? (Example: wed01, wed02, wed03... )

• Web site itself is nice, I don't see any obvious issues, except meta and title tags could be better.

• Can you name each page better than, for example, "www. clicfoto.ca/gallery?album=weddings" to make it search engine friendly? Might need to use an htaccess file for this.

• I think some pictures need better cropping to get rid of distracting foreground/background things, and/or they needed a different camera angle; some pictures need better editing although many are good.

• Half of the Facades photos are crooked. Architecture pictures usually need vertical verticals, although many newspapers are lazy and don't care.

• With Interior pictures, you don't necessarily need a wide angle lens to get a sense of depth. If you put an object in the foreground, have something in the middle and something else in the background, you can force a (fake) perspective (i.e. a feeling of a big room), compared to just standing back and shooting with a wide lens.

Also, having a foreground, middle, and background elements can lead the viewer into and then through the room.

I spent +10 years shooting for new home builders. In many jobs, most of my time was spent moving furniture around rather than taking pictures. Compose a nice picture based on the shape of the room and the location of windows, and then move the furniture to suit the picture.  Don't compose your picture based on furniture position, (unless it's too heavy to move), because model homes often position furniture based on how they want buyers to move through the rooms rather than what looks photogenic.

Always nice when a model home has lots of fake plants or plastic fruit to add colour.  :)

Shooting towards a window makes a room seem larger. Always nice if you can slightly blow-out the window to keep the viewer's attention inside the room, unless there's a nice view outside.

--

Edit - removed some pictures.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 06:19 PM by Warren Toda »

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Yves Choquette

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 09:34 AM »
Warren,

You should give an editing workshop for photographers in Montreal. ;o)

Yves

Joanie Lebrun

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 11:54 PM »
Thanks for the comments.