Author Topic: 1000 rolls of undeveloped film  (Read 9805 times)

Offline Fred Lum

• Professional
  • wherever Starbucks app tells me to go
    • mostlymonochrome
1000 rolls of undeveloped film
« on: October 12, 2009, 04:53 PM »
Came across this story about a photographer who bought the works of another photographer at an estate sale. Included in the sale were 1000 rolls of unprocessed 120 film. The photographer is slowly processing the rolls and posting them on a blog.

http://vivianmaier.blogspot.com/

There's a bit more background on his Flickr site.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/onthestreet/discuss/72157622552378986/

The unsouped film has echoes of Garry Winogrand who left behind 3000, yep, 3000 rolls of exposed and unprocessed film when he passed away.

Fred

Offline Blair Gable

• Professional
  • Ottawa, ON
    • Blair Gable Photography
Re: 1000 rolls of undeveloped film
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 05:44 PM »
What a great find. There are some really nice frames in there. A book needs to be published.

Freelance picture-maker.

http://www.blairgable.com

Bill Sandford

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 08:02 PM »
My God yes! That is a terrific collection from the fifties. I feel such a flood of nostalgia.

I've been sorting and filing negs and slides from my teenage years to the time I went digital. A lot of personal stuff and some from my newspaper career, and this reminds me of my early photography. I was beginning to notice light and how it played around different subjects. I watched movies with a keen interest in lighting and camera angles. It was my learning stage, which of course never ends.

Thanks for posting Fred.

Bill Sandford

Offline Jack Simpson

• Retired Professional
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 11:14 AM »
A cool find Fred... and here's my fave .. shooting from the bus window .. a photo well before my
own heart:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_YUrw6ooCZj4/Ssq_PUaxgII/AAAAAAAAAeA/lunTInxOR5g/s1600-h/CHI-1041.jpg

Cheers,

Jack

Colin Corneau

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 11:21 AM »
Awesome find, Fred. This is really fascinating stuff...makes one really ponder what we'll leave behind.

Jesse Johnston

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 04:10 PM »
Over the past two months I have gone through two big moves. Japan back home to Winnipeg.... followed shortly thereafter by Winnipeg to Toronto. During packing you always seem to find forgotten junk and some real gems. Rolls of film are one of those gems. Unless you marked your rolls with date/time/place or your memory is unreal, the contents are a mystery! After being out of the country for 2 years I came back and rooted through my stuff in storage and came across numerous rolls of undeveloped 35 and 120(color, B+W and slides). I have no idea what is on them, and I love it.

Offline Fred Lum

• Professional
  • wherever Starbucks app tells me to go
    • mostlymonochrome
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 05:35 PM »
I'm FINALLY starting to keep notes, sort of. I print out Avery type labels that have fields for factoids and this gets slapped on each roll as shot. Now when I look at my mess of film that needs to be souped, I'm reassured that I actually did shoot something and that's it's still a masterpiece in waiting...

Fred

Gregory Sawisky

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 06:50 PM »
I found an undeveloped roll of 35mm film at Value Village tucked inside of an appliance a few weeks ago. I wonder what sort of masterpieces will be on it and if it will rival the work of Winogrand? :D

Still, finding an unprocessed roll of film, yours or somebody else's, is like finding a locked treasure chest. I just hope it's nothing illegal since I'm going to Wal-Mart to have it developed ("That wasn't me officer, I swear! I just found the film.")

Colin Corneau

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 09:06 PM »
Has this happened to anyone else?

This may be the silver geek in me talking, but it sure sounds a lot more intriguing than finding a SanDisk card lying around somewhere.

David Fuller

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 10:09 PM »
Same thing happened to me this summer. At a value village, too. It was a cheap no-name roll of film that expired in 1989, so I took it to london drugs to get developed. They didn't even charge me because the film was double exposed and light leaked. Either way, it made the pictures a lot more interesting to look since most of them were highschool kids giving the camera the finger or sitting in a locker, etc.

Offline Jack Simpson

• Retired Professional
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 10:39 AM »
Has this happened to anyone else?

This may be the silver geek in me talking, but it sure sounds a lot more intriguing than finding a SanDisk card lying around somewhere.

Well, you do know For Surethat the roll of film won't have a virus in it  ::)  but you still might find some interesting
images in both  :)

I found my AsahiFlex IIb (cira 1954) when I moved this past August and it had a roll of film in it ... so I got it souped and
found some pics -- which I will put in a separate post  :)

Cheers,

Jack

Offline Jack Simpson

• Retired Professional
    • Email
Re: 1000 rolls of undeveloped film --(Some of) My found pics
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 10:50 AM »
these are from back in 2005: 
a friend, Jay Berman, who still does some writing for the LA Times .. who interviewed and
photographed The Beatles way back in 1964 ...he used one of the Nikon rangefinders which
he still has ...but I moved up to the digital world  :D

A photo of said camera --AsahiFlex BII -- in a photography forum ;

Two(2) street shots from Robson Street @ Thurlow

Cheers,

Jack

Offline Graeme Roy

• Inactive Member
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 11:19 AM »
Absolutely great find Fred - and an amazing find by the photographer that bought the stuff.

There are some really terrific photos in there....I could look at this stuff for hours.

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 11:51 PM »
The full documentary is here (until September 8, 2014):   http://tvo.org/video/205679/finding-vivian-maier

« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 01:16 AM by Warren Toda »

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Offline Jack Simpson

• Retired Professional
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 01:51 PM »
The full documentary is here (until September 8, 2014):   http://tvo.org/video/205679/finding-vivian-maier

They've been playing some Vivian Maier doc more than a few times over the last few months in YVR and, wouldn't
ya know it, it's coming back again next month  ???.   I've yet to see and, TBT, the more I hear of Ms. Maier, the less
interest I have.

Jack